Monday, February 16, 2009

NightOwl Romance Live author chat

I had my first experience in participating in a large mass chat room today. Not as an author, but just as a common folk/reader out to meet an author of interest. Even though it actually was not so large a group it was a unique experience for me. It was not what I expected. The participants were nice but I wonder if anyone read the rules... Quoted from the website: http://www.nightowlromance.com/nightowlromance/chat/chat.aspx
Each author has their own time to chat about their books. Out of respect, please give each author the stage while it's their time and hold questions for other authors until it's their personal question time.
Eliza Knight - http://elizaknight.com/default.aspx Frances Stockton - http://www.francesstockton.com/ Catrina Calloway - http://www.myspace.com/CatrinaCalloway - free copy of EIGHT EROTIC NIGHTS Jacquie Rogers - http://www.jacquierogers.com/ - Giving away a Down Home Ever Lovin' Mule Blues T-shirt Alysia Lyons - http://www.alysialyons.com/ If I understood the chat correctly it was to be an opportunity to chat with the authors about their books. Participants were to be polite and ask only the author whose time it was to chat questions. Well the chat seemed like a free for all to this lowly common reader.... posts were scrolling faster that I could read.... prizes were awarded before participants were given time to even respond to the posters.... unless you were a speed reader. Participates carried on completely personal or general conversations without any respect to the authors whose turn it was to talk..... Now to be a bit fair... some of these same authors were also the culpurts. Visiting reviewers carried on conversations with other participants as well as throwing the participating author the stray question to answer. The chat administrator had very little control, nor did she try. I understand and appreciate that NightOwl Romance wanted its participants to have a good time, but promoting the event and the actual funcionality of the event in my opinion was poorly accomplished. It appeared as if many visitors to the chat room left before participating. I know for myself it felt worst than an actual conversation where "you can't get a word in edgewise" as the saying goes. Don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable reading the things everyone was posting, it's just that much of the post were never directed or offered to the author. I participated in the event with the original purpose of supporting a very new aquaintance/author Alysia Lyons. As luck would have it she was the last participating author. I politely asked a question or two of each author as their turn appeared but the other conversations filled the screen so quickly I could not keep up with the posts. Every author was polite and I believe tried their best to do their part around the numerous posts but I actually felt quite bad for them. I know questions were asked of them that they most likely missed due to the speed at which the posts were scrolling. I know personally I will think twice about going back to post under these same circumstances but I believe the general intent of the live chat was to be helpful. Stray comments that I too made or asked were almost always politely answered, if not by the current participating author, by someone else. I will most likely go back and visit the site again and I may even enter the chat room but I will have to think very hard on returning to participate in an authors chat.

4 comments:

  1. I felt at times I was in a room full of rowdy kindergardeners and the teacher had no control, though being a kindergardner myself it had it's fun moments, I just felt, the authors deserved a bit more politeness during thier assigned times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a nice comment from Rowena Cherry (author of FORCED MATE and KNIGHT'S FORK) on my facebook wall to wall... She explained that the promotional aspect for authors participating in live chats come before and after the event. And that the actual event is more for fun than substance. Thank you Rowena for expaining this.

    So though I enjoyed myself at NightOwl Romances Promotional Authors Live Chat, I can remove myself from the self imposed role of "squaking mother hen protecting imaginary chicks" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowena is correct in that the major benefit to the author is the pre and post publicity opportunitiies. The chat itself is nearly always wild and crazy. I've only been on a few sites that enforce strict protocol. Chats on The Romance Studio and Coffeetime Romance are similar to NOR. Most have their regular attendees, as does NOR, and they have a tendency to get a little relaxed about the rules, for sure.

    The pace is breathtaking if you're not prepared. My first chat, I was totally tromped on by a couple other authors, so I learned to have the blurb, my websites, and other important information already typed out in a .txt file so I could just copy and paste. Otherwise, you just can't keep up. I also learned to ignore the side chatter.

    Yes, comments were made to other authors. When comments are directed toward me during another author's turn, I try to keep my response under 5 words. What are you gonna do? Ignore the question? Police the chat yourself? Or go with the flow as graciously as you can? You get better at these things each time your participate, just like anything else.

    But I will agree, the whole thing is a bit overwhelming first (or tenth) time around.

    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I've been to a few and didn't enjoy them very much. I really wanted a chance to "talk" with the author, and that was not possible with all the other unrelated conversation going on. I do wish they'd respect each author's time, and keep the chat on topic!

    ReplyDelete